Thursday, October 05, 2006

Fashion victim?




So... I bought my very first pair of skinny jeans today. They are not even just straight leg... these are tapered, tight, grey, skinny jeans. An item of clothing I vowed never to wear, since I remember hearing from the British what-not-to-wear girls that tapered pants flatter NO ONE. And that the only people who could sort of pull it off are size 0, but even they are pushing it.

Well this fall, skinny pants are back again... along with leggings and long sweaters and belts... it's the 80s re done, and for some reason I find it all very intoxicating. See, I missed the 80s the first time around, since I was in Japan and things were different there. And we were a little too young to have the full fashion force of the 80s hit us... But still for years, I've felt left out when conversations turned to what fashion disasters my friends were during the later part of that decade... I was just a regular kid and did not wear the bright neon legging, or the legging that looked like photo copied jeans for that matter.

Skip forward to 2006, and I'm in a change room trying on tight tight jeans, vaguely aware that they do in fact make my hips look huge... but for some reason I don't care. Sometimes it seems fashion is not even about how good you look, it's just about embracing the moment. I wore my skinny jeans all over town while I did errands for the rest of the day, and every time I caught a sight of my reflection in a store window I couldn't help but smile. Maybe I'm just a fashion victim jumping on a hideous trend, but at least I can say I've done it... and besides, by the next time this trend comes around I'll DEFINITELY be too old.

7 comments:

rachel s. said...

how do you feel about the skinny jean in edmonton? will you be able to fit your long johns underneath?

liz. said...

i feel so strongly about the skinny jean that i'll come out of hiding and post on your blog. i know that i'll never wear the skinny jean...but in my mind there's no one i know that would be more capable of pulling it off then you. honestly, c'est vrai. rock those skinnies like there's no tommorow!

ang said...

Brilliant! I'm totally proud and tonight you made all the regular bootleg girls jealous.
Trends are the only constant. We should all make a consistant effort to give our kids something to laugh about when looking at the photo albums. That is the point of fashion.

Bec Shulba said...

so i love the links on the side. is that new or have i just not been paying attention for awhile?

Bec Shulba said...

oh yeah, and i was going to say...do you have boots to go with your skinny jeans?

caedmon's mom said...

alyssa! got the blanket today, it's amazing! thank you sooo much. caedmon loves it. i'll have to get a shot of him in it so that you can see your amazing talent in action.

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,菲梵酒店經紀,酒店經紀,禮服酒店上班,酒店小姐,便服酒店經紀,酒店打工,酒店寒假打工,酒店經紀,酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工經紀,制服酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工,酒店經紀,制服酒店經紀,酒店經紀
,