Thursday, February 08, 2007

I love Second Cup!



In many ways I'm very loyal to Vancouver. I still believe that 8 months of rain is better than 8 months of snow. I'd rather pay $300 000 for a condo by the ocean, than a house in the prairies. And I think my Tercel is a superior vehicle to a Ford pickup truck. But there is one thing about Alberta that I embraced almost right away... and that is Second Cup. Specifically the Second Cup by my house.

From the outside, it looks like any other chain coffee shop... but once you step inside you find yourself in a neighborhood gathering place. It's always packed with people visiting, reading, working, and studying. The walls are covered in posters for things going on around our neighbourhood, and there is something about the vibe there that feels so personal and comfortable. Never mind the fact that their coffee is great (I'm sorry, but I can't handle non flavoured Starbucks lattes anymore... is there even any espresso in them?), Second Cups have personality. No where is this more apprent than on Whyte Ave (Edmonton's attempt at Kits). You walk into the Starbucks, and you could be in any Starbucks. You walk into the Second Cup, and the pierced/tatooed baristas, the music that is definitely NOT light jazz, and the general dirtiness... well you could still be a lot of places, but it narrows things down. And that is why I love Second Cup.

3 comments:

Ang said...

Sounds great! I love a good place to study/ be distracted by interesting people. Coffee shops are really about watching everyone and the neighborhood dynamic. I'm glad you've found a sweet spot to enjoy the view.

Laura said...

I have been to that second cup on white ave and yes, it is wonderful! My friend Jill's good friend worked there and she had many piercings too:)

I'm with you on the starbucks. I still very much like it, but it's great to go to a different place. Take Lynden Woods for example. It always feels so homey and has unique character. If you have not visited a Lynden woods, I will take you there:)

liz said...

just for the record...(because we all want you to LOVE vancouver more than any other place - you are missed) we do have the second cup in vancouver and all over the lower mainland, south surrey even. just wanting to make that clear - don't want you getting any crazy ideas...