Tuesday, February 06, 2007

I love yarn!



This may make me the biggest granny of all, but I guess it's no secret that I love to knit. It still amazes me how a series of little knots can add up to a toque, scarf, mittens, throw pillow, blanket, you name it. It's so satsifying to see the rows increase as you work, each stich putting you into a kind of trance that is often very hard to break. I've spent hours at work, in movies, and sadly even out with friends, where all I could think about was getting back to whatever project I was working on at the time. I'm working on my first pair of socks right now, and it's wild to think that a hundred years ago, women did this everyday, and because of them, their family stayed warm.

But lets get to the root of this obsession. Knitting would not be nearly as fun if it wasn't for the beautiful fibers that it brings into your life. I've been working with acrylic yarn forever, because I was poor and it was cheap, and even so I would go to the yarn stores and stare at the shelves of cashmere, silk, mohair, and wool... in every colour you could think of. I've recently started buying some of the nice stuff, and it does not dissapoint. I think that I've reached the point of no return, and oh this might get expensive, but I don't care. I love yarn!

5 comments:

Bec Shulba said...

i love that you knit. i wish i knit.

ang said...

It does serve a good purpose, and thanks to you, my children won't be cold. Of course they will be wishing that they were your children as I drag them off to sample sales. But they shouldn't complain with their matching scarf and mitt sets. Typical.

james said...

I approve of the yarn picture. Good choice.

therachel said...

is that a pic of "Socks That ROck?" I'm so thankful that you've imparted your love with me, and now I also LOVE to knit. Thanks, friend!

Sharelle said...

one day you should teach me to knit.
i have never really stuck with it, although i have wanted to...