Wednesday, July 04, 2007

My little garden (sort of)

Last weekend James and I decided to stop by our local garden store, what else, the urban garden. I have never been much of a gardener, mostly because I've never had a yard. But even growing up, I never spent much time helping my parents in the yard, unless it was picking rasberries, which was my favorite. But in the past couple years, possibly after hearing friends talk about their gardens, possibly because I've realized how much better tasting fresh veggies are, I've started to fantasize about having a garden of my own. Alas, I still don't have a yard, just a little deck, so the garden is still out of reach. But what is not out of reach is a little herb garden hanging off my railing. And our recent sucess with the hanging basket we got from my parents (sucess meaning we have had it for 2 weeks and it's still alive), gave me the courage last Saturday to walk into the Urban Garden and walk out with all the makings of an herb garden. After spending the afternoon re-potting and arranging my pretty new herb plants, I'm happy to report that so far all plants are still alive and accounted for, and hopefully they will stay that way. Hanging basket aside, my track record is not so great. I'm even taking my Dad's advice to talk to the plants, so morning and night I creep out to 'talk' to my garden. Not quite sure what to say to them, so I say the only thing I can think of. "Little plants, please don't die".

7 comments:

Bec Shulba said...

i think the plants can tell you don't think they're important enough to talk to. you need to be more excited. tell them how great they are. they can tell.

therachel said...

bec is just so encouraging. I have herbs too, but have not yet spoken a word to them. What will my neighbours think?

ang said...

If a seed is planted in a forest where there are no people to talk to it, will it still grow?

Sharelle said...

i am with bec. negative words will not help them grow. go out there and tell them they will grow - positive affirmation, it what all little pupils need. hehe.
just the thought of you walking down to "urban garden" brings joy to my heart, mostly because its called urban garden, but also because that is such a picturesque thing to do. a beautiful anecdote alyssa - i wish the herbs all the best.

Bec Shulba said...

so...just wondering how the herbs and garden are...

Bec Shulba said...

seriously...how are the herbs?...it's been months.

Alyssa said...

They didn't make it.