Monday, August 03, 2009

Back on the bandwagon...

Back in April, I decided to start updating the blog again. I had the best of intentions, and even wrote a fairly long post for it, but one thing led to another and the post was never posted. Well, I just found it again... and it reminded me that Yes, I SHOULD start writing on my blog again. However, I am still the same lazy blogger that I've always been, so rather than starting with a fresh post, here's what I felt like sharing with you back on April 10, 2009.

Censoring the Status…

So, I've been noticing that my internal monologue is very heavily influenced by the the things I read/watch/hear. Maybe this happens to everyone, or maybe I'm just a natural imitator. I do tend to start sounding like the people I hang around with… which can be good or bad. When hanging around intellectuals makes me sound smarter than I am, good. When being around my husband and his goofy laugh makes me start to 'in-laugh' too, not so good. When hanging around anyone with an accent that I unconsciously adopt and then butcher, bad - and possibly insulting to other cultures. So the same thing happens with the thoughts that are constantly running through my mind. Like when I was watching WAY too much Sex and the City because my roommate had all the seasons on DVD, I found myself walking around thinking things like "In a city like Vancouver, I couldn't help but wonder… should I have tuna melts or take out sushi for dinner?"

Well lately, I have started to think my thoughts as status updates. Yes, facebook status updates are constantly running through my mind. You may find yourself thinking "What? She doesn't even update her status". It's true. And I'm not even on Twitter! But the reason I don't update my status is not that I can't think of what to say, it's that I'm constantly thinking of status updates and then censoring myself. Everything is either too boring/harsh/true/personal… it's a funny thing to phrase your thoughts as public announcements. And it's interesting how little I think in my mind that I'm actually willing to say out loud.

So, here are a few 'updates' I remember from over my lunch today that I don't mind sharing...

Alyssa is psyched to find out that a Tim's roll up the rim free coffee, means ANY SIZE YOU WANT!!!

Alyssa is amazed that the Spanish tourist thinks he can pay for his $2 soup with a US 100 dollar bill and get the change in American money. What country works that way?

Alyssa just remembered the Euro.

Alyssa is pretty sure that she's about to win the car from the roll up the rim cup she got…oh no, she just doubted it.

Alyssa did not win but feels OK with that.

Alyssa is regretting the extra large.

4 comments:

Bec Shulba said...

fantastic. where did you "find" this post? but its so true.

i look forward to many more posts in the near future. :)

Alyssa said...

Yay! I'm so excited to have someone read my blog still! Thanks Bec!

Alyssa said...

Oh, and I 'found' the post in my email where I had written a draft.

theRachel said...

A blog update! YESSSS!!!!! Which reminds me...I need to do the same.

I will always read your blog, thanks to google reader.