Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My name is Alyssa, and I'm a shopaholic...

So, I may have shared before how I have this slight little problem with shopping.  I can't seem to stop.  My biggest problem is clothes, and somehow walking home along Robson Street does not help.  Lately I've been feeling kind of fed up with myself for this.  I have a bag full of barely worn clothes I bought just last fall that I'm giving away, and yet I still feel like I need so much more.  Ugh!  I think the month of November is going to be a fast from shopping.

But before that happens I've been busy getting sucked in by marketing schemes.  I found this lovely wool vest at Banana Republic, but convinced myself that it was too expensive and managed to leave the store.  




What shows up in my inbox a couple days later?  A 25% off coupon for BR.  How am I supposed to resist?  I couldn't.  And while I was there I found this sweater in navy/grey and these navy cord pants.  







The sweater I bought and I love.  It kind of reminds me of a Joan from Mad Men collar, and trying to look like any female character on Mad Men is sort of a new obsession of mine.  But I managed to convince myself that the skinny cords are not needed, and left them behind.




Well a couple days later at the Gap, I find the same cords for $60 and this lovely sweater.  I summoned all my will power, and walked out of the store because I know that you don't buy full priced at the Gap.  So then today, I'm walking by the Gap and they have this new thing called sprize.  If you buy something at full price, and then it goes on sale in the next 45 days, they will automatically put the difference on your account, and then you can use that for other purchases.  Well, that's all it took.  Sigh.  Why am I falling for all their tricks? 




8 comments:

Alyssa said...

Ok, after reading this post I realize the solution just might be STOP GOING INTO STORES! I will take it into consideration:)

theRachel said...

Ha...but you're still signed up for all those emails from stores...yet another kink in the solution.

Bec Shulba said...

oh my goodness - i just got the sprize email from gap and was like, i got to get to a gap! haha. you know what curbs clothes shopping? weight gain. though my weight gain came with a baby...even more tempting to shop for.

Megan Thiessen said...

my question is who are you giving the bag of clothes from last fall? I'm happy to take them off of your hands:)

Rick Vugteveen said...

When will women learn: sales prices are a trick! A trap even. I've tried to explain this to Lana a hundred times and it just doesn't stick. I bet that stores just raise their prices to 200% and then bring them back down for their 50% off sales. The only difference is that you feel better about the purchase as "it was a deal for something from [insert Banana Republic, Aritzia, TNA et. al here]".

Best of luck this November with the fast. Lana just walked in the door with a brand new pair of boots. I think she should be trying to follow your lead starting November 1st!

Lana Vug said...

Darn-it Megan! I was thinking the same thing - I love getting free clothes? Perhaps we can share them? Although I don't really need them.

Alyssa honey, I can TOTALLY relate! Don't worry, its not just you - I'm also a shopaholic, as Rick is fulling willing to testify to. Ironically he was reading your post when I just walked through the door with a new pair of boots from Aldo! Shoot! (I already own 2 other pairs from there).

You should read my latest blog post... I just went on a shopaholic rage in the last month. I'm totally in debt to my spending allowance. WE SHOULD NEVER SHOP TOGETHER! We should hang out and knit, then we won't shop!

Alyssa said...

Ha ha, yes Lana, I remember what happens when we shop together:) Although I still LOVE that coat I bought and wear it all the time.

You girls are more than free to look through my giveaways... maybe we should plan a clothing swap?

Megan Thiessen said...

sweet! though I don't have much to swap since I got rid of a bunch of clothes when we moved....but I could see if there is anything else to muster up. When & where should this clothing swap be?