Thursday, December 24, 2009

Almost there...

I can feel it, I'm on the home stretch.  14 hours more of work to go and I'm on vacation!  One whole week of absolutely nothing to do (as in nothing I have to do) in lovely, chilly Kamloops.  This month has flown by and I can hardly believe that I find myself here on Christmas Eve morning.  Returning to shift work, job interview travels, working overtime, last minute Christmas crafts, Christmas baking, and throwing our family's Christmas dinner yesterday, not to mention trying to find some time to visit with friends and family.  It has been a full month. 

But even all that work has not dampened my festive spirit.  One of my favourite things this past couple years has been inventing new traditions with James.  Even though this is only our third married Christmas, I get excited about watching It's a Wonderful Life on Christmas Eve, or giving each other ornaments every year. 

The problem is, although I like to dream about doing these things, I'm not so good at executing them.  After decreeing that exchanging ornaments should be a tradition so we could build up our measly ornament collection, I promptly forgot all about it the next year.  James, wonderful husband that he is, did not forget.  This year, having been shamed by my poor performance last year, I was set on finding the perfect one... but is it possible to find cute ornaments outside of craft fairs?  I couldn't.  And I forgot to look at the one craft fair I went to this year.  Oops.  And as for It's a Wonderful Life on Christmas Eve, well I'm working all night.  Unless I can convince James to stop by work, it isn't going to be happening.  But that's OK, they'll be plenty of time for our Christams traditions after Christmas is over.

So what are some of your favourite new or old traditions?
.

3 comments:

theRachel said...

We do the ornament thing too. Loving Anthropologie for sweet ornaments. Other than that, we enjoy watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation!

I hope for your sake and James' sake that your last night shift passes quickly and you can get going with that vacation! Let us know if you guys spot Santa flying through the night sky!

Ang said...

We go to the beach to watch the sunrise on Christmas morning. We are excited to have company to drag along with us this year!
Have an awesome holiday! Enjoy all the sleeping in and down time! I hope they wait till you get there to open presents :)

Bec Shulba said...

my new favourite tradition that has developed over the last couple years is all of us (parents and matt and katie) buying something for each other's stockings. makes stocking opening way more special and less buying for my parents. :)