Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Books, books, books.



Read the Printed Word!



Isn't this a cute picture?  You can find a whole bunch of these at Read The Printed Word.

So many books, so little time.  That's how I feel sometime.  I have a ton of books on my to-read list, but let's face it, reading is one of those activities that requires your total commitment and concentration.  It's hard to multi-task while reading, and since I'm not one of those knitters that can both read AND knit often times, the books get pushed away for other forms of entertainment.

And sometimes, even when I finally get to reading those books on my list, I end up stranded in the middle and unable to work up the will power to finish.  That's one of the reasons I love short stories so much.  In one sitting you get through an entire story, no lingering guilt about unfinished chapters.  I just finished reading Alice Munro's Runaway, a book of short stories recommended by my mom, and it was a fantastic reminder of why I love this format.  Has anyone else read it?  If not, it's worth your time.

6 comments:

Megan Thiessen said...

I haven't read that but am curious of what books are on your list??

Lana Vug said...

I know what you mean about not being able to knit and read at the same time! Lately I've developed a pattern of watching TV shows while I knit and after a couple of episodes I switch to the book I'm reading for a couple of hours. I try to go back and forth a lot so I can fit it all in.

Bec Shulba said...

don't read julie powell's cleaving. i've decided to leave it by the wayside. too depressing and too many details about butchering.

Alyssa said...

Right now, here's what's in my book pile at home

Little Bee by Chris Cleave
Blindness by Jose Saramago
Anna Karenina ( which I'm half way through)
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (also half way through)

OK, so that doesn't sound like quite so many books:) But those are just the books I physically have waiting to be read. And I just had to return some additional books because I'd borrowed them for so long and their owner wanted them back. That's sad, to return borrowed books UN-read!

theRachel said...

You should read the Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses, both by Jeannette Walls. I zoomed through both.

theRachel said...

I also have Juliet Naked by Nick Hornby and a Marian Keyes book on my bedside - lots to read!