Friday, March 23, 2012

Our little foodie

It's been almost two weeks since H started 'eating'. My goal was to try to keep it fun (no crying!) and for him to gradually get used to the idea of food. Every day after his first morning nap (seriously, when will this kid go down to 2-3 naps instead of 4-5?) he gets in his bumbo and we 'have breakfast'. All the quotation marks are because at this point very little food actually makes it in.

I have to say, I think he's doing great. At first he was just really into his spoon, his plate and his cup. He'd always grab for the spoon and then put it into his mouth, but was kind of oblivious to the fact that there was any food on it. He'd grab for the plate and suck on the side of it. He likes to hold his sippy cup, but would sputter and spit out the water if he ever managed to get some out. But in the past couple days I think he's discovered the food. Now when he grabs for his plate, it's what's inside that's got his attention. And he's actually swallowing some water from the cup. Needless to say, mealtimes have gotten mess-y. I'm amazed how he manages to coat himself from head to toe with food, and yet so little makes it into his mouth. Ah well, at least he's having fun and I'm optimistic that the next step will be that he discovers that food is for eating.

So what's he playing with these days? So far he's had yams, banana, pear, oatmeal, avocado and chicken. His favourite so far seems to be avocado... I guess they don't call it nature's baby food for nothin'.


Oh and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that that his absolute favourite thing is to drink out of a real glass. I thought I'd be smart and try to get him to take breastmilk out of a cup since he wouldn't take a bottle, so I spent a week trying to show him how. Yeah, still no interest in drinking breastmilk but now he will grab any cup out of your hand and try to get at it. Steaming hot coffee? Grandpa's beer? H's all 'get me some of that'. Oh dear.

1 comment:

theRachel said...

Sounds like you're both having fun with this new stage! My mom has told me that we almost never used sippy cups (with the lid), and that especially at the beginning she would just give us small plastic cups with water and if we spilled it, no biggie.