Friday, March 30, 2012

A trip to Gastown

Since I've started sewing and actually going to fabric stores I've come to appreciate how great Dressew, the sewing fabric and supply store downtown, is. It's two floors and kind of crazy, but you can find some awesome deals on fabric and be guaranteed that they have everything. With the sun staying up later and later, I've decided we need to line the curtains in H's room. There's already a blind in there too, but it's still just too bright, and while I suspect we may end up just covering the windows in tin foil, I thought we could try a less extreme option first.

So today, when H was already cranky by 11 am we headed down to Gastown for some fabric shopping. I confess, that I also had a bit of an ulterior motive. You see, I'd been hearing a lot about a boutique donut shop, Cartems Donuterie, and I really wanted to try out their super expensive but yummy donuts. Their warehouse is just down at the end of the Commercial Drive, but yesterday when I walked down there in the afternoon, all the donuts were already sold! Ruined my day, no joke. I wasn't going to let those donuts play me like a fool two days in a row, so I was extra determined to make it to their pop up shop, which just happened to be down the street from Dressew.

Now that street is Hastings Street. And even though Gastown has been a cool neighborhood forever, this particular stretch of Hastings is an amazing study in gentrification in action. So many hip cafes and restaurants have appeared, with lines extending down the street during the lunch rush. Every other building front is still some broken down pawn shop, but in between cute shops are popping up like creeping buttercups (just ask James if you're not familiar with the dreaded CB, he battled it all last summer). And can we take a moment to ponder the craziness that $3 donuts are being sold steps from one of the poorest neighborhoods in the country.

Ahh but those donuts were tasty. With flavours like Chai Masala and Earl Grey it was so hard to decide. But in the end I went for the Maple Bourbon Bacon and the Chocolate Mole. Yum yum.


3 comments:

Bec Shulba said...

i recently had a bacon cinnamon bun and was tenative to purchase it despite the recommendation because it seemed like such a weird combo. but SO GOOD, right? i'd imagine your donut must have tasted similar.

Alyssa said...

Where did you find this bacon cinnamon bun? Salty and sweet, such a good combo.

theRachel said...

Maple bacon sticky bun at Hudson Jones in Victoria - new since your last visit, Alyssa, so next time you're here we will go FOR SURE!!

Also...I look forward to going to Cartems with you!