Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Lately I've been wondering about how I should be spending this last stretch of my maternity leave. Soon, much sooner than I care to acknowledge, I'll be back at work and life as we know it will change. Again. It's hard to imagine. H and I have never been apart for more than a few hours. And even that has only been a couple of times. And yet, in two months I will be leaving him for 13 hour stretches. Eeek! How will that even be possible? And more importantly, how do I prepare us for that separation?

I feel like this is my job over the next while. As much as I want to spend every single minute together, maybe it's time to start to wean us off each other a bit. I know that in the long run independence is a good thing for both of us, but how do you help to cultivate it in a way that feels loving and secure? And that's not a rhetorical question. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

2 comments:

Bec Shulba said...

there's no easy answer except the reassurance that you have created a very loving and safe environment for H thus far which means as you slowly increase the amount of time that you're away from him, he will be fine because he knows that you love him and that you'll be back.

Alyssa said...

Thanks Bec:)