Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Still still

At almost 10 months old H is still a non-crawling baby. I've been trying to stay really laid back about developmental milestones. I don't get the monthly updates from babycentre, I only glance at my 'What to Expect' book if I have a question, and I've been trying not to compare H to other kids since it really seems like in the grand scheme of things every baby gets there eventually. And considering the crazy critical voice I have in my head, I think I've actually been doing a pretty good job.

But this morning I had a total breakdown. My kid ins't crawling, and obviously there is no other reason than that I am a bad mother.

Now, he likes to sit, and if a toy rolls away from him he just goes for a different toy. If all the toys roll away from him, he just sucks his thumb. He does not seem interested in reaching forward and going from sitting to being on his belly. Maybe it's just that one too many hard knocks to the head on our hardwood floors have taught him to be super cautious. Or maybe I've just been helping him out too much.

I know in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter when your kid reaches these milestones. Can you look at 18 year olds and tell which kid crawled a couple months later than the others? Nope. Heck, I was an early crawler/walker and I'm about the clumsiest person I know (and my legs are covered in the bruises to prove it). Still, it's amazing how as a mom this stuff gets under your skin and can drive you crazy.

So, I'm going to try to take a page out of my son's book and not care about this ('cause he's really not at all bothered). And if worse comes to worse and he's still not crawling at a year, well then I can always start lying about his age. 'No, he's not crawling yet but then he's only 8 months old... yes he is very big for his age...' It's always good to have a plan B.

No comments: