Friday, November 16, 2012

A day in the life - 14 months


So a few people in my blogroll were taking part in a 'day in your life' type thing and it got me to thinking that I'm really overdue for one myself. As my friend Rebecca pointed out to me it's really neat looking back and seeing how things have changed over the past year and a bit. But when I actually started thinking about what a typical day is like, honesty I had no idea. Some days I work, some nights I work, some days I don't. Some days H is up at the crack of dawn (actually hours before), others he sleeps in. Naps are a mystery these days as he transitions from two down to one. Well I guess I should pick the day that just ended. Actually it's pretty typical of a day I work nights, so here it goes…

7:30 am - Wake up to shouts coming from H's room. The past couple days he chose to get up around 6 am, which is a li-ttle early for my taste. Thank goodness he chose a more civilized hour today. In my pre-baby days, if I was working a night shift I would make sure to sleep in until 10 am or so. No more! H is up and so am I. I bring him into bed with me and we slowly wake up while nursing.

8:00 am - It's time for getting dressed and making breakfast. This morning I decid that I want eggs even if lately H has not been a big fan. To my surprise not all of his eggs end up on the floor, so I'm going to call that a win. He also has peaches and banana and milk. Since he gets a morning snack at daycare I'm not too worried if he doesn't eat a huge breakfast.

8:30 am - We bundle up (it's a clear and frosty morning) and head to daycare. I honestly feel so lucky with the childcare we've ended up with. To think I spent so much time worrying about what we were going to do. As we walk into the elevator I notice the artwork has all been changed and now there's a display of the Halloween pictures up. H is very excited to point out all his friends in their costumes. I get him settled, say good morning to the staff and the other kids, and leave H happily chowing down on some yogurt and berries. He doesn't even look up as I go.

9:30 am - It's a beautiful morning and I've got a ton of stuff to do, but I need to have a nap to get me through the next 20 hours. So I head home and go to bed.

1 pm - WHAT! This was the longest nap ever and proof that as a 14 month old mom I'm still rocking the sleep deprivation. Maybe it's not like in the early days, but given the chance I can nap almost anytime. I have a few hours before picking up H and this is the time to get stuff done. I rush around cleaning, doing laundry, and even manage to run a couple errands around town.

4 pm - Arrive at daycare to find the kids playing outside and H riding a tractor and laughing. It's good to know that while I've been doing my thing he's been having a fun day. I check the board on the wall to see what he did, what he ate, and when he napped. Today was a fantastic nap day, 11 to 1! No wonder he's in such a happy mood. We play for a little bit before getting in the car to head home.

5 pm - Back home and this is our hang out and play time. When H starts to seem hungry I make a dinner out of leftover beef and beans, pita, and grapes. I have a lunch packed for work but I join him for a snack as well. After dinner H nurses for dessert. Normally he would nurse right before bed, but on days when mom is away at bedtime we've got to get creative. Sometimes it works OK for me to be away at night, but sometimes it's really hard for James. This lack of routine is the worst part of my job, but you've got to do what you've got to do.

6 pm - James arrives and I run out the door. Bath time and bed time will be his job today. I'll get home just as they are waking up and cuddle and nurse H before falling asleep. Now it's time to grab a coffee, settle in to my desk, and spend 12 hours using a part of my brain that has nothing to do with mommyland. And in a strange way, it feels like a nice break.

2 comments:

Bec Shulba said...

wow - what a crazy time in your life, my friend. way to rock it.

theRachel said...

You guys are definitely making things work. xo