Sunday, January 20, 2013

And now, for a little bit of bragging…


Last night while giving H a bath, this conversation took place.

Me: "Where is your head?" (he points to his head)
Me: "Where is your ear?" (he points to his ear)
Me: "What sound does a monkey make?"
H: "Ee ee ee"
Me: "what sound does a dog make?
H: "oof oof"
Me: "What sound does a sheep make"
H: long pause "BAA!"

Probably for most 16 months olds this is no big deal. But I feel like throwing a parade! This week H also started walking and saying hi and bye. It feels like he transformed from a baby to a toddler in the span of a week.

It has now been just over a month since H had ear tube surgery to drain the fluid from his ears that was making it so that we could't move on with hearing tests and aids. I had reached my breaking point, literally, three hours before the phone call came that they had a spot for him in surgery in TWO DAYS! Never doubt the power of a mother's tears, I say.

We knew it was quite likely that the fluid was making his hearing worse, but it wasn't immediately noticible that he was hearing better after surgery. However, little by little he started reacting to ambient noise - the dishwasher, coffee grinder, a leaf blower next door. And now he's started responding to questions and adding new words.

H also had a booth hearing test which he completely rocked. Seriously, he gave very consistent results (though unfortunately not complete - we go back for what is *fingers crossed* our last sedated test this week). The news seems to be that right now his 'good ear' is at a mild loss. It was really interesting to be in the booth with him and see what he does and doesn't react to. He responded to very quiet talking, but the 'Shhhh' static-y noise had to be quite loud before he would react.

I can't tell you what a relief it is to know that he hears me when I speak to him in a normal talking voice, even if he might be missing sounds here and there. That was something I didn't even realize I was missing. I had completed a questionnaire when he first started speech therapy where I could only say for sure that he understood one word, ball, because that was all he said. I didn't even know if he knew his name. Well, he definitely knows it now. I can't wait until he gets his hearing aids and we can finally know that he is hearing all that he can.

1 comment:

theRachel said...

WOO HOO! And what a great photo of James & H at the bottom there.