Sunday, January 06, 2013

Run!

Oh resolutions. I have so many this year. Cut down on my coffee intake, which I confess has gotten a bit out of hand (she says while sipping her third cup of coffee of the morning, ahem). Start taking my own lunch to work instead of buying stuff (0/3 on that one). Cut back on sugary foods (so far there hasn't yet been a baking free day of '13). Clean out my drawer. You know that drawer? The one where you shove every semi-important letter and whoseamawhatsit.

So, with all this failure there is one resolution that I'm super pumped about. I'm going to run the Sun Run. So far I've gone on two runs and I'm loving it! I'm doing this program, which I used a few years ago when I ran the 10K. The great thing about it is that it starts out suuuper slow, so that you end every run feeling like 'I want to do more'. What I figured out about running last time I did it was that I used to push myself too fast/too soon and so it was painful to run. I need to slow my pace way down and take it easy, then it's actually enjoyable. And somehow, after doing this program I ended up being able to run 10K in just over an hour, which for me was amazing.

Now, it's disclaimer time. I did have this resolution last year and it was a flop. I gave up after one run and just walked the 10K. I was expecting the first run to feel similar to last year, when every step made it feel like I had to pee/my insides were going to fall out. Turns out there's a big difference to running when you're 4 months postpartum to 16 months postpartum. It felt great just to be outside, taking a break from the grind of daily life. I hope I can keep it up.

2 comments:

theRachel said...

WOO HOO! You can DO IT! I'm so proud of you!

Bec Shulba said...

hey - there's nothing wrong with walking 10km! ;) but that said, i'd like to ditto theRachel.